Today Prof. Dr. Claus Arnold and Alexandra Nusser MA sent the invitations to the ReIReS partners for the first Week-Long School, to be held in Mainz, September 23-28, 2018, on the topic of the use and study of special documents.
The school is meant for docs, postdocs, archivists, librarians and others affiliated to partners of ReIReS and is offered in the framework of Work Package 5.
About the School
The school in Mainz will make scholars familiar with special, less known and remote collections like the fragments of the 9th cent. in the Martinus-Bibliothek and the world’s most important collection of utilitarian Christian literature in the Hymnbook Archive. Also unique is the Jewish Library which is one of the very few libraries saved from the persecutions in Germany and which shows the reading interests of the Jewish community of the time. The Wissenschaftliche Stadtbibliothek holds 1300 manuscripts and a decent number of rare prints from the former Carthusian and Carmelite libraries which mirror the active religious reflection in the convents between the late middle ages and the Enlightenment. These libraries indeed reflect in their holdings the religious history of Europe (as the GA states).
The school in Mainz will focus on book history and provenance research with practice on reading ownership entries, research on former owners and analysis of the results and will also train the users in palaeography, prosopography and version comparasion.
The participants will be trained in:
- how to use the holdings of the Mainz facilities for investigation on historical religious issues.
- awareness of the importance of making use of the results from different disciplines in order to analyse and use the materials of these collections for his/her work.
- the range of materials available in the libraries/archives.
- the importance of the knowledge in these materials for a proper development of research in the domain of historical religious studies.
- in codicology and palaeography, history of books, ancient manuscripts restoration and preservation, organisation and management of archival materials.
- how to train others in the use of the program.
Prof. Dr. Claus Arnold about the school in Mainz:
Read here more about the training program of ReIReS.